City Planning and Subdivision
- Coordinate all updates and issue amendments of Lusail Masterplan as required by LREDC and QD and key stakeholders
- Develop and amend the Masterplan for special Public projects such as Lusail Health and Education District, Lusail Schools, Qetaifan Island Public facilities etc.
- Develop and implement specific strategies required for the support of the Masterplan such as ; public Arts strategy, Retail strategy, nightscape masterplan, Street Furniture, Way findings strategy, Water transport study
- Act as the Clint representative in relation to the coordination of all land allocation for different usage within the master.
- Provide architectural and urban design briefs and guidance for Lusail projects and government public projects as required
- Coordination with all developers and approve the urban design aspect and landscape design for all private projects in Lusail in conjunction with the Building Permits section
- Coordination and support the implementation of the planning of civic facilities including schools, mosques, Health care and medical facilities in accordance with Lusail Master Plan.
- Conduct and coordinate strategic studies required for the different aspect of Lusail Masterplan
- Provide support to the Lusail building, development and infrastructure departments in relation to any technical and planning interface.
- Issue all subdivision coordinates and final parcelisation plans required for the creation of all plots in Lusail City
- Conduct the final survey of all plots as required by the lands department prior to the issuing of final plot certificate
- Develop a comprehensive GIS for Lusail City based on the national system in Qatar.
- Provide a single contact point for all consultants and developers for all services associated with Building Permits approvals in Lusail City
- Provide an advisory service to architect, consultants and purchasers prior to lodgment of formal submissions.
- Provide assessments and approvals of DC1 & DC2 applications in coordination with all Al Daayen Municipality and other public agencies.
- Coordinate with government agencies such as Civil Defense, Kahramaa and others on all building applications
- Provide GSAS advise in conjunction with GORD to ensure compliance with Lusail GSAS requirements
- Provide assessments and recommend approvals for all Qutaifiah Lagoon building applications
- Review building regulations as required by management and public authorities
- Issue the final repot required for the issuing of completion certificate in conjunction with the government authorities
- Coordinate construction access permit with Lusail departments to ensure compliance with all requirements
- Provide technical interface coordination and advice to Master developers in Lusail involved with the planning and design of district Master plans and infrastructure of particular district
- Coordinate with the Land Registration Department the final transfer of title for individual plots from Qatari Diar to the purchasers by providing the final report on development project as required under the SPA.
- Monitor and provide periodical reports on the status of project approvals and project progress in Lusail districts.
- Liaise with Al Daayen Municipality and other government agencies on daily basis to ensure the smooth operation of all approval s.
City Control & Monitor
- Inspections and approvals of enabling works and periodical inspections of developments sites as required.
- Control building execution and excavation works to ensure its applicability to the approved plans and standards.
- Draft notes to the offenders and settle breaches in compliance with the building permit and CAC department.
- Inspect and protect Lusail public properties and infrastructure and prevent road and public land occupation.
- In coordination with Al Daayen Municipality enforcement of all building and planning regulations.
- Support the logistics department to deal with authorized access for construction activities throughout Lusail.
- Undertake and facilitate the final inspections and control all documents required to issue the completion certificate for all projects in Lusail.
- Instruct and take legal action for any violation to the building, health and conditions pursuant to the regulation of Lusail City and the state of Qatar.
- Support the Environmental Health and Safety department in the enforcement of local laws and regulations throughout the different district of Lusail.
- Monitor Contractors and Sub-contractors through all phases of construction for work quality and safety issues to ensure compliance with Lusail standards and Municipality Requirements.
- Prepare Observation Notices for Non-compliance performance during the daily tours at sites.
- Keep accurate records on progress on sites and share information with the relevant In-house departments on monthly basis for their updates.
Lusail Administration Complex Starter Pack
The Lusail City Administration Complex Starter Pack provides investors, design consultants and contractors with the policies and procedures for the approval and execution of development projects in Lusail City.
The first Starter Pack was published and distributed to Lusail investors and consultants in April 2009. It is now available online.
All investors, consultants and contractors working in Lusail should become familiar with the Starter Pack contents and abide by its policies.
Lusail reserves the rights to update the Starter Pack over time without prior notification.
Lusail General Guidelines for Developers
Welcome to Lusail City Administrative Complex. This page is designed to facilitate the distribution and the dissemination of relevant information that would help developers and land owners with the preparation of their submittals. This page would be updated regularly in order to bring awareness and better understanding of the general requirements for development of projects in Lusail City.
This page and its documents by Lusail Real Estate Development Company – Lusail City Administrative complex are intended to be used by plot owners, consultants, developers and contractors. Yet nothings contained in this page relief the purchaser of the plot, his/her authorized representative, plot developer and its contractor from their responsibilities to get approval of their designs and their plot specific issues from Lusail City Administrative City Complex. These documents are provided for general information only.
Lusail Master Plan
Lusail City is the first and largest sustainable city in Qatar with ambitious and ground breaking concepts that reinforce every facet of Qatar’s National Vision. Lusail goes beyond the usual concept of a modern city by encompassing innovative ideas that take the sustainability principles into the core of the city masterplan.
Lusail City is Qatari Diar’s flagship project. More than just another development, it is a self-contained sustainable and comprehensively planned city signifying Qatar’s progress on a grand scale.
Created by Lusail Real Estate Development Company on behalf of Qatari Diar, Lusail City is the largest single sustainable development to be undertaken in the State of Qatar. It embodies Qatar’s National Vision 2030 in the field of real estate development.
More than 200,000 residents will live in Lusail’s scenic surroundings, with 170,000 people expected to work in the city’s different districts, and 80,000 expected to visit its entertainment, recreation and retail and hospitality facilities. Lusail City’s 19 districts will encompass not only new residential, commercial, hospitality, and retail opportunities, but a full array of community needs, complete with schools, mosques, medical facilities, sport, entertainment and shopping centers.
The city of the future boasts a light rail network, a water taxi transportation system, cycle and pedestrian network, park and ride system and sophisticated intra mobility network. Construction work on the 38 square kilometer, progressive world-class sustainable development is well underway with 65% of the infrastructure completed and 67% private project under construction.
Lusail Eco-Friendly Alternatives
Open space and Landscape amenities
With 17% of the total land area dedicated to open space in Lusail, Lusail has endorsed a water sensitive landscape plan to minimize the water consumption focusing on selection of Qatar endemic species with minimum lawn area. The Wadi Park is a good example for a conservation park which delivers a unique open space system to represent natural functioning of original Wadi systems to recycle and retain all run off rain water from al Khor rod system and adjacent urban fabric. The proposed Land scape Plan for the Wadi Conservation Park provides unique habitat consistent predominantly local plants to create an opportunity for cultural expression and educational and aesthetic experience.
The landscape strategy for Lusail encourages use of native vegetation with reversed desertification and prevents rain water runoff. Around 40% of total preferred species in the landscape strategy are native vegetation and only 5 % will be used as lawn or turf. Approximately total area consists of 55 % soft scape and 45% is hardscape.
Land and water Preservation
Lusail has environmental assessment and environmental planning study with a strategy to minimize environmental impact and protect the soil quality. The shore line of Lusail; extends over 27 km and protected by range of each structure
- Stone revetment walls
- Concrete retention wall with stepped walls, beached and terraced walls to create a new marine environment
The revetment walls will function as an artificial reef and provide habitat for various flora and fauna. Furthermore the building and green areas along the waterfront will act as a trap for windblown sand and dust coming from the North. The project mandate compliance with EMP (Environment management Plan) for protection of coastal and marine environment during construction and management of the project, there is also an annual environment monitoring siltation survey to ensure coastal protection.
Lusail strategy provides for extensive measures for water body protection with 27 km of waterfront development to minimize environmental effects and protect coastal area.
Lusail City’s current strategy to minimize impact and protect current onsite habitat as recommended by the environmental impact assessment. The Lusail City plan enhances biodiversity of the site including dense seagrass beds, scattered sea grass beds, intertidal flats, low lying terrestrial areas, rocky dessert and the original vegetation.
- LRT :In order to reduce vehicular emission and save energy an integrated transport system has been introduced into the Lusail City including Light rail dedicated to Lusail with 38 stations across 38 km of rail to interconnect the 19 districts and respond to transport demand model.
- Park and ride strategy: wherein car parking stations have been p[planned underground to ensure close proximity to rail stations to encourage people to use the Light Rail to travel within Lusail. The rail network is also connected to both the national and international network.
- Water transport system has been developed to use the Lusail marina and the main Grand Canal to transport passengers within Lusail city through and from Lusail City
- Cycle and pedestrian ways system is planned and being implemented. The network interconnects the entire city across the 67km cycle and pedestrian routes.
In addition a complementary bus shuttle system is currently being studied by Mowasalat to interconnect all the residential, commercial, and retail areas to the main public transportation system.
Road system: A road hierarchy for Lusail has been developed to avoid through traffic and protect pedestrian amenities’ by using extensive underground road tunnels
The Lusail District cooling system is amongst the biggest in the world and has been designed to save 65 million tons of CO2 annually.
The Gas Network has been designed through the Lusail City to connect every single plot in the entire city to the Natural Gas Network, thereby saving electricity consumption particularly for domestic cooking and all large public entertainment venues and food and beverage venues.
Pneumatic Waste collection (PWC)
This is in addition to traditional waste collection and is designed and implemented with source segregation for two waste fractions, wet and dry waste to support national treatment facility. There will be approximately 420 tons of organic waste which has potential for combustion and 310 tons with recycling potential.
Sewage Treatment plant
Lusail’s Sewage Treatment Plant has been designed to ensure that all treated gray water will be recycled for irrigation purpose. It is a state of the art wastewater treatment plant designed and constructed on a compact platform to provide the highest standards in wastewater treatment and sustainable environmental solutions by utilizing the latest submerged Membrane Bio-reactor technology with immersed hollow fiber membranes to serve Lusail Development, the Pearl-Qatar, Leqtaifiya lagoon.
A full-fledged sludge treatment and handling facility consisting of thickening, aerobic stabilization and dewatering using filter press, ensures a minimum of 30 % dry sludge at the outlet of the plant while the treated sewage effluent (TSE) produced at the utmost Environmental, Health and Safety requirements to be utilized for irrigation purposes and landscaping needs of Lusail City Development served by 9 km of return TSE mains ranging in size from 700mm diameter to 1000mm diameter
Smart City Concept
Has been designed to offer residents and visitors in Lusail an enhanced quality of life by availing the state of the art internal security services and integration of city wide smart metering, smart grid, integrated traffic management systems. Furthermore the availability to fully automate homes and office environment in Lusail will help running the most efficient Building Management System (BMS) for each and every building in Lusail City.
Proximity to District Facilities
The overall masterplan philosophy has been based on the district and neighborhood concept whereby all civic facilities has been integrated within each district to provide a higher standard of communication and reduce the travelling distance to basic services such as schools, mosques, daily shopping, basic commodities are available for each district within walking distance. The land for all these facilities in each district has been preserved for such use and is under implementation program to secure all the facilities in collaboration with the private and public sectors.
Centralized facilities such as medium and large shopping malls have been located in a very central location in the city closer to transport nodes, to provide easy access to Lusail residents, visitors and all trips without needing to leave the city or use private vehicles for that purpose.
Beside the shopping malls Lusail city provides down town Style Street shopping at the Commercial Boulevard which is also connected to special people mover travelling up and down Commercial Boulevard in conjunction with underground Car parking with the capacity of accommodating 2500 cars under the street. These measures have been designed to facilitate intra mobility within the Boulevard using public transport and reducing private vehicle traffic generation in the street.
Reduction of travelling distance
The Lusail master Plan includes the following features:
- Extended pedestrian and cycle ways to reduce travel by car and enhance mobility
- Inclusion of Mixed use plots in most districts to provide service and reduce travel
- Develop a safe public space and pathways to encourage walking between destinations
- Creation of public space though the master plan to encourage social interaction and promote physical wellbeing within walking distance.
- All public transport has been integrated within the master plan to support major destination within each district.
- All civic facilities are located on a district basis including schools, mosques etc.
- Neighborhood gardens planned and designed for each district within walking distance for each residential neighborhood
- Creation of opportunities for 170,000 jobs in Lusail to provide opportunities for residents to work and live in Lusail.
- Creation of major sports and recreation facilities for the residents and Lusail population such as golf courses, major stadium and training grounds , passive and active parks, marinas, water activities and culture facilities
Lusail City was the first in Qatar to endorse the GSAS principles to rate all buildings according to their sustainability and performance. The current minimum star rating for any building in Lusail City is 2 star GSAS rating. In order to achieve this rating the building must comply with the energy calculator to ensure that the target scores are achieved to reduce the energy consumption, also the water conservation calculators are used to ensure reliable sourcing material with appropriate specification and encouragement of use of materials such as back fill etc.
The GSAS code and assessment also looks at quality of outdoor environment, the acoustic quality (internal & external Noise production), culture and economic value, management and operation of each building including the storm water management and water waste etc. Lusail City has introduced a unique insensitive scheme to encourage private developers to achieve a higher rating up to 5 GSAS stars in association with GFA percentage increase
Lusail is committed to attaining GSAS (Gulf Sustainability Assessment System) certification, measures to reduce environmental impact focus on:
Reducing the loadings on the urban environment by:
- Minimizing the load on the traffic/transportation infrastructure.
- Developing efficient above and below grounds roads and walkways.
- Controlling the amount of light emitting from noise produced by the project or development.
- Encouraging the use of public transportation and developing in proximity to existing amenities.
- Reducing contamination to sewer and waterways.
- Preventing any risks or pollution to water sources.
- Minimizing access to daylight or solar potential to adjacent properties.
Mitigating environmental impacts due to land use by:
- Maintaining and enhancing the ecological value and biodiversity of the site through remediation, conservation or restoration
- Defining a landscaping plan that encourages the use of native vegetation, reverses desertification and prevents rainwater runoff.
- Designing for mixed uses to reduce travel.
- Controlling wind conditions and temperature changes on the site and adjacent properties
Reducing the energy demand on buildings by:
- Designing the building to lower its energy demand.
- Selecting efficient building systems
- Lowering the demand on non-renewable sources of energy thereby reducing harmful emissions and depletion of fossil fuels
Lowering demand on water by:
- Minimizing water consumption in order to reduce the burden on supply and treatment systems .
- Water consumption management through careful selection and specification of fittings and appliances.
- Rainwater harvesting and re-use for grey water flushing systems and as irrigation of landscaping.
- Designing a landscaping plan that minimizes the need for irrigation.
Reducing environments impact by:
- Recycling and reusing materials, on and off site.
- Using local materials as much as possible to reduce transportation needs.
- Using responsibly sourced materials.
- Designing for use of disassembly and reuse/recycling.
Improving environmental quality by:
- Monitoring air temperature and quality and adjusting or calibrating as appropriate.
- Ensuring a sufficient level of illumination while using an optimal combination of natural and artificial lighting.
- Maximizing views to the exterior for all occupants.
- Providing for occupant comfort by minimizing glare.